Sunday, November 1, 2009

Convergence Culture - Henry Jenkins Video

Convergence Culture is a sort of process that combines old media with new media with the intent to make a better media for the present day. Convergence culture's implications in education are basically how teacher's are able to use technology in their classrooms (Powerpoints, TeacherTube or YouTube, blogging, etc). This class is a great example of convergence culture, because we are learning hands-on how technology, old and new combined, can be used in the classroom. Some schools, however, limit kids use to these forms of technology, mainly to protect them from the dangers and the non-educational areas of the internet, etc. Some schools are also having trouble financially updating and being able to provide these technologies. I know from personal experience, I had not been able to use much of this technology until now. I live in a very rural area without accessible internet, and my school did not use much technology in the classes, at least to the extent I have in college. I think it is good for students to be able to use technology/convergence culture in the classroom, but I don't feel it needs to be the main focus. This could possibly because I didn't use much technology in school, and the idea of using it for everything seems odd to me. This is also because a lot of students now use so much technology everyday, that if they had a lot of access at school and it was not moderated properly, they could be doing other things (Facebook-ing, talking to friends, etc.)

2 comments:

  1. Good points Justine! Do you think kids that don't have technology access at home and don't get opportunities to use it(social networking software) at school maybe left behind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some ways, yes. I know that, a lot of times, I personally felt left out when I was unable to use the internet for certain things, and sometimes still feel that way. It's still just not as accessible as it should be, and educators need to realize that, especially if they want to make there whole classroom technology based.

    ReplyDelete