Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Double Entry Journal #1

From the reading: Tall Tales of Appalachia

Quote:
"My own father spent his life backing up, apologizing for the space he took up in the world. He took the hillbilly stereotype to heart and all of his life believed that he was backward and inferior -- a despair I, too, have been trying to escape all of my life." (O'Brien, 2003).

Reaction:
As I was reading this passage of the article, my heart broke. It is so awful, in my opinion, that people from Appalachia have to feel this way. I consider myself a country girl, what Appalachia is, has been, and always should be. My grandpa is a farmer, and I've grown up on the farm, watching him and my father raise cattle, plant and tend gardens, work in the hayfields, and so on. We hunt for our food, butcher the cattle we raise, and grow our vegetables. Now, if being this kind of determined person, like my grandpa is, just living off of the land God blessed him with, is something to be ashamed of, then I must have missed a bulletin. I'm proud of where I'm from, and although I hear all the stereotypes, I just laugh them off. If other people want to make fun, they can go ahead. I'll always be a West Virginian, born and raised, hardworking, and PROUD of my heritage. The video we watched in Dr. Jones' class on Tuesday was basically my life, and it reinforced just how proud I am to be a West Virginian, and how I would not want anything to change.

Reference:
O'Brien, J. (2003). Tall tales of Appalachia. The New York Times, Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/10/opinion/tall-tales-of-appalachia.html?pagewanted=2&src=pm

Related Resource:
After reading this article, I decided to search "Proud of Appalachian heritage" to find my related resource. This article from Huntington, WV was the first to come up in my search results, and it really resonated with me as a future teacher, as well as a proud West Virginian. This article shows ways that Jenny Hobson has tried to help her students be proud of where they are from, and could really benefit us as future teachers.

Jenny Hobson: Teach children to be proud of Appalachian heritage

Reference:
Hobson, J. (2008). Jenny Hobson: teach children to be proud of Appalachian heritage. Herald-Dispatch, Retrieved from http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/x2065285750

7 comments:

  1. Your reference article was very good. It made me remember a song in my chorus classes: My Home Among the Hills. The lyrics are even lovely. Making the students proud about their home state is a wonderful idea for teachers, students, and their parents. You have a nice attitude when it comes to stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the idea that it is important for children to know their heritage and that it should be something that is taught in and outside of the classroom. Understanding where you come from is a powerful thing, it gives you a sense of belonging and pride that really motivates you as a person. With all the problems children have in the classroom; learning how to be social and enriching their minds, the sense of belonging plays a crucial part. Children from an early age need to know that they are just as important as the next child and that their ideas play important roles as well. It really does give an individual a new perspective and outlook on life that is more positive and productive for the good of the group and just not the individual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the article you included as a related resource. It is important to love who you are and where you are from becuase it makes you, you. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved the reaction to your quote. I feel exactly the same way you do. Although, I was born in WV, I grew up traveling around the world; and I can honestly say that I think and feel that West Virgina has some of the most kindest and hardworking people I've ever met. I think the people here have held to the long standing tradition of working and living off the land. I am proud to be a West Virginian regardless of the stereotypes or beliefs that others may have about its people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the reaction to your quote. Although, I was born in West Virginia, I grew up traveling around the world; and in all my travels I can honestly say that West Virginia has some the kindest and hardworking that I have ever met. I believe that West Virginians have a deep connection to the land and take pride in that fact. I have learned to overlook the long held beliefs and stereotypes that people hold about Appalachian people. I feel that until you've walked a mile in another persons shoes you shouldn't cast judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the reaction to your quote. Although, I was born in West Virginia, I grew up traveling around the world; and in all my travels I can honestly say that West Virginia has some the kindest and hardworking that I have ever met. I believe that West Virginians have a deep connection to the land and take pride in that fact. I have learned to overlook the long held beliefs and stereotypes that people hold about Appalachian people. I feel that until you've walked a mile in another persons shoes you shouldn't cast judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Justine, I like that you are definitely not afraid of where you come from. Most people in this state have family that lived on a farm and provided for their own family by what they had in their backyard. I don't know why other states feel that we are backward because of our way of life. It takes a lot of intelligence and hard work to raise your own meat and grow your own crops than it does to drive to the grocery store to get it.

    ReplyDelete