Monday, October 31, 2011

Struggling Student

I am currently in a 4th grade class for my 75 hour clinical experience. I have noticed a few students that seem to struggle a bit in different areas, but there are two that I have really decided to focus on. The first child is a young girl who just recently moved to the area from Delaware. She has been said to have OCD, and it is evident in the way she keeps her desk and worries about the condition of those around her. She also tends to get very distracted by how others are acting and wants to control their behavior. This causes her to lose focus in class and focus on others. However, she seems to attempt to pay attention to class more than she does on others. Her grades, on the other hand, are not very good. My host teacher has been unable to get records on this child so far, to my knowledge, so we are unsure of any other areas she may be struggling in. She also misses a great deal of school. I'm am unsure of how to assist her at this moment, since not much is known about her due to lack of records, but I try to assist her when I can, as much as I can.
The second student is a boy who is very outspoken. He is a constant behavior disturbance in the class - talking out, backing talking the teacher, bothering his peers, being a class clown, etc. Ever since day one, I have been interested in finding out what is going on with this child. The teacher has not said much about anything that may be going on with this boy, other than he "wears her down," which is visible, because she is always having to correct him. The token reinforcement/discipline system in the school does not seem to phase him. He will get upset when he has to move a stick, but then regresses back to the same behavior within ten minutes. He is a very smart child, and does well on his work, when he puts the effort into it and actually completes it. Last week, I noticed that he seemed to be uninterested in the math lesson. I asked him if he was understanding what was being presented, and he said yes. However, I could see on his paper that he didn't understand. So, I pulled a chair up to his desk and began working one-on-one with him. This seemed to help him, and he was focusing more on his work. He seemed to also be prouder of himself when he got an answer right. I think part of his problem is that he feels alone/left out. His desk is away from the others and beside the teacher's desk. When I went to go back to my desk, he said, "Don't leave! I like having someone to talk to." So, I stayed and continued to watch him finish his math. This strategy did not seem like much to me, at the time, but it seemed to make a little bit of a difference. I am going to try to use proximity more with this child, and see if that will help him, as well as the teacher. If she does not have to focus on him as much, the entire class may benefit in the long run. He's a good kid, and I can see his potential. I just need to figure out how to best help him see it, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment